Friday, May 21, 2010

Swimming with Clothes On!

Tonight I went swimming with clothes on, shoes and everything.

WHY!

BECAUSE, a parent wasn't watching their child.

Ok, so here's the story. I was at a BBQ tonight. Parents were eating and chatting on one side of the yard 10ft away from the pool. A dozen kids swimming. A 2 yr old playing in the pool on the baja step, no floaties or anything. The child is a big kid. When I first saw the child, I thought he was about 4 and could swim, because mom wasn't near by. The baja step is on the farthest side of the yard with palm trees around it. Very hard to see the area where the child was. I was only planning on being at the BBQ for 30 minutes because I was going to go to temple with Jessica. As we were leaving, I walked past the area where the kid was playing. He was still on the step, but close to the edge. As I got to the back gate, I gave one last glance toward the pool. Child was already under, head was no longer bobbing, hands were barely above the water. I ran the 10 yards yelling "get him, get him". I was in that pool and had the child out of the pool before another adult was there to help (that's how far away the adults were from the pool). Jack was the closest to me because he also dived in. Jeremy helped me out of the pool I was in shock, I began to cry. The mother of the child was in shock and speechless. She started crying about 30 minutes later and then left quickly .

Most of these people at the party know my family and have met Joey. Some of the fathers are police officers and paramedics and firemen (we live in Simi Valley, that's all that live here).

Because of Joey I have become paranoid around the pool. Doesn't mean when I'm around that I'm going to watch your kid for you. WATCH YOUR KIDS! WATCH YOUR KIDS! If you are having a BBQ, make sure the parents know to be responsible and watch their own kids. Doesn't matter how old your kid is. Accidents happen. Kids play rough in the pool. Older kids can hit their heads or can get jumped on. DON'T be one of those people that say "OH it won't happen to me".

This family, this child does not deserve the same fate our family and Joey have endured. This mother and child have no idea that Joey was watching over them tonight. He was their living ANGEL. Through me Joey saved that little boy.

Thank you Joey.

So my one plea to everyone, whether you have kids or not. If you have a pool, don't rely on the gate or the alarm or another parent. Watch your CHILD! Get a lifeguard if you are having a party. Think of my son Joey. It CAN happen you YOU!

3 comments:

blsdmomof6 said...

I know you may not look at being a hero, but you are. Yes, because of Joey a mother still has her healthy son. God has given you the strength most of us could not handle. You are an amazing woman, with a stamina the no one can compare. Whe we took our Disney cruise and spent a week together, I knew I liked you and enjoyed your company. But not it's much more then that, I also "admire" you. You are a blessing and an encouragement to so many. I know everyday is a challenge, but you keep pumpin away. You will always be in my prayers.

Corbinleeproject said...

I'm so sorry you had to go threw that. I have been there, my brother in laws little boy started choking. I left crying, it was a very hard thing to see, but you had to deal with it I'm so sorry. Thanks Joey for helping momma!!!

Anonymous said...

what was jack wearing?