Thursday, April 22, 2010

What Do We See...........................




When are you going to see results?.....................That is the question everyone is asking us since we have been home from Costa Rica. My answer is 'I don't know'.

When we were in China, I saw changes 2 days after Joey's first injection. His eyesight improved right away. Then we consistently saw new changes for up to 6 months after we returned from China. Then after those 6 months he took what he gained and built on that. His sitting went from an average of 3 sec. to an average of 1.5 minutes. His response time improved greatly.

We have now been home from Costa Rica for 5 days. And yes I have seen changes already, however I don't know if I can contribute that to stem cells just yet. When we were in Costa Rica Joey received ABM therapy. He got 1 hr a day for 5 days.

As for the changes I see:

-He is sitting up and forward a lot now in his wheelchair and feeding chair. He did this before, but not to the extent he is doing know.
-He is also sitting for an average of 4 minutes, over these last 5 days. He sat for 10 minutes today.
-His response time in everything increased dramatically.
-He is making different sounds with his mouth. Moving his tongue differently. He is really trying to say a lot of words now. It is still sounding like retard talk, but he is trying really hard and he has increased his vocabulary by tons. It is really awesome to hear.
-He is also starting to suck through a straw on a juice box only. Not mastered yet, but he didn't do this before Costa Rica. I'm sure he will master this soon enough.
-He is walking in his gait trainer much better and faster. Because he has regained much of his eyesight, he sees where he wants to go now. So he has some motivation to move faster.
-He will let you touch and hold his hands and arms now. He used to pull his arms away when someone would try and hold his arms. He loves it when you hold his hand and walk him in his wheelchair.

So to reiterate, I don't know how much of this is actually from the stem cells from Costa Rica, or from China or just from his ABM therapy in Costa Rica. BUT, no matter where it is from, I'll take it.

I am so proud of him. He is really working hard. He is a really great sport.

8 comments:

Amy said...

Hey there. I am Emma's mother, I have been keeping up with you guys. I have posted here before--just post your China trip. I am watching with eager eyes all the chilren. Well, especially Makenzie and Joey. I know you from Caradie's links. I pray you get fabulous results, as I am working on $$ to get this for my 6-year-old Emma who has CP.

By the way, what kind of walker is that that Joey is using?

I think his results are amazing! I am so happy for you.

Unknown said...

Hi Amy,
Thanks for following our kids. Joey is in a Kid Walk. I have tried several different gait trainers and he likes this one the best.

Good Luck with your money raising. Do you have a blog for your daughter?

Anonymous said...

Surprised to hear a mother of a challenged child use the word retard when writing about their child.

Unknown said...

Anonymous, If you knew me at all, even a little bit. You would know that I use the word retarded not as a deragatory word. I know my child is not retarted. If you have an issue with it then you have your own self to overcome with your special needs child, especially since you have to leave the message as Anonymous and not us your real name.

Anonymous said...

You know,, I am simply amazed that people comment on your blog, & Makenzies blog, as anonymous and continually bash what you do, how you do it, what you say, how you term it, everything. The only thing I can think of is that there are people who are jealous and I suppose it makes them feel better to lash out on other people. Have I done stem cells NOOOO, do I want to YESSSSS, am I happy for all the beautiful children who get to do these things, all the extras insurance doesn't allow, YESSSSSS!!! I pray for every cell in Joey and Makenzie, I pray for restoration, and I just have a hard time with other people who cannot be happy for you. Obviously they are not happy with themselves. Know I am praying for your family, I am HAPPY for your family and EXCITED for you. I think you rock as a mom who will go to the ends of the earth for your child. God Bless you,,,
Jami Poore (Izak's mommy)

Amy said...

Thanks. I do have one. Do you have an e-mail address, and I will share it with you. It is not public.

Unknown said...

Hi Amy, my email is jessjackjoey@yahoo.com

Gayle said...

SOUNDS LIKE JOEY IS MAKING AMAZING PROGRESS!!!!!!!

We're so happy to hear about the improvement in his sight!!!!

Love,
Cousin Gayle