Tuesday, April 27, 2010

My Son SUCKS!

Changes are beginning to happen.

Today at therapy I was talking with a couple other moms and our OT about vital stim. Even though Joey can eat anything and everything I am going to try a few sessions of the vital stim. I was teasing with the OT and said 'Hey, can you make Joey suck'. I really wanted him to start sucking out of a sippy cup and straw. Within that minute I decided to get up and get a sippy cup to see if Joey can do it yet. Usually he just bites down with his teeth to get the water out. To my surprise he began sucking. He didn't use his teeth at all and kept his lips closed around the cup 95% of the time he was drinking. Tears began to come down my eyes as I turned to the OT and said 'Well guess I don't need you anymore". Hee hee hee Throughout the rest of the day I gave him his sippy cup and he continued to suck on it.

I also got a straw sippy cup. He can't suck that yet, however, when we were in Costa Rica he was able to suck out of a straw on a juice box. So I am going to buy a million juice cups so he can practice. Thanks Gracie for showing Joey how to do it.

So now I can officially say that the stem cells from Costa Rica are working. He is doing so great. First the sitting, then the walking and now the sucking.

Yeah my kid SUCKS!

More good news, I have been trying for a year to get my insurance company to pay for Joey's gait trainer (walker). They finally got back to me and they are going to pay about 80%. Whoo Hoo. Now I only have to come up with $1100. Yes, gait trainers are very expensive. I'm so excited, I am a step closer to getting Joey to walk up and down the street.

Thanks for all your prayers and thoughts. Please keep them coming. We can never get to many.

2 comments:

Amy said...

This is so encouraging. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Julie, Im so happy for you. congratulations Joey......XXXX
Jo-ann Morris
drowningsurvivor.com