Saturday, May 7, 2011

Hi, my name is Joey!


Hi my name is Joey. My birthday is June 28. I will be turning 6 years old. My mom is going to give me a Mickey Mouse birthday party. Mickey Mouse is my favorite. I love watching Mickey Mouse club cartoons all day long. It really makes me happy. When it is not on all I have to do is yell "MOM" and bam, Mickey Mouse is on my ipad. There are many different things I like. I love hearing my friends play. I love music and hearing people sing. I like when people hold my hand and pull me along in my wheelchair. I love when people cheer. I love ice cream and cake and pudding.

When people see me in my wheelchair from afar, or even close up, most think I am completely disabled. Well, I'm not. Then there are those people that know me well and still judge me and think that I would not want to do what a typical 5 yr old boy would do. Don't boys like to play baseball? I am on the Cardinals and love wheeling around the bases and throwing the ball. Don't boys like to jump on a trampoline? I think this is my most favorite thing to do, especially when my brother plays with me. Don't boys like to play at the park? I like swinging on the swing. Don't boys like to pound on things and get dirty and yell and flirt? I love doing all these things too. I just do all these things a little different then most boys. I have best friends at school that are typical. They read to me and play with me and make sure I have what I need to be happy. They don't know that I am different (ok maybe a little different, but not totally different). They give me high fives and fight over who gets to push my wheelchair.

I have a wish. I wish that moms and dads would not teach their kids that I am scary or fragile or not of typical mind. That moms and dads would let there kids come and talk to me when we are out and about. I like when they ask questions about my wheelchair or braces or anything about me. I wish that adults would not assume that I would not want to play or can't play or would not want to talk or can't talk. I wish adults would not judge my life and me as a person. If you have questions, any questions, ask me, my mom is there to help me with the answers.

Just because I am in a wheelchair and can't talk much, doesn't mean that I am not a 5yr old boy that likes the same things all other 5 yr old boys like. THINK ABOUT WHAT I WANT, NOT WHAT YOU THINK I WANT. Ask my mom if you don't know.

HAPPY MOMMY'S DAY to my MOMMY and GRANDMA'S and AUNT'S and all those wonderful Mommys out there.

3 comments:

Mrs. Dan said...

Happy Mother's Day Julie!

And Joey! You're going to be 6?! Get out! Can't wait to see you eat a face full of cake so make sure you post pics. Keep taking it easy on your mom. She helps keep me sane because I have her quotes in my head. ;)

Linda said...

Hi Joey:
What do you think I should tell my son when he sees you? I work with kids and understand that you are not completely disabled but I fumble when I am with my son and he asks me. What are the words I should use when he asks me "what's wrong with that boy"? Thanks.

Linda

Unknown said...

Hi Linda,

Well I am pretty disabled, but my mom knows me sooooooooo well that she knows exactly what Im saying, what I want and what I need.

A lot of kids come up and stare with curiousity. Usually my mom introduces me to them and I shake their hands or give them a high five. Then they start asking questions. I love when they ask questions. My mom will tell them that I hurt my brain. I have owwies on it and because I hurt it I have to learn to walk and talk again. If they ask how I hurt it, she will tell them that I fell in the pool.

So if you don't know what is wrong with a child when your son asks, then it is ok to tell your son to go ask. And talk to the child. Tell him the truth, tell him all you know. That way he won't be scared or even look at kids like Joey funny. The become friends real fast.