Saturday, November 29, 2008

What I'm Thankful For..............

Happy belated Thanksgiving to everyone. 

Over the Thanksgiving holiday, our family went camping. We have a motor home, so I don't know if you can really call it camping.  Anyways, Joey did not like camping. He has never been this difficult before. So to say the least, camping wasn't as relaxing as we hoped for. Joey showed his displeasure by being stiff, not wanting to eat or sleep and was fussy all weekend. We haven't seen this behavior for about six months or so. Of course as soon as we got home, he was back to himself.

This weekend reminded me of how lucky and thankful we are to have Joey. For years now, we have been so concerned with what Joey can't do and forget what Joey can do.  You forget how important the little improvements are, like being able to hold your bottom lip with your upper teeth, or to bring your thumb and index finger together or to mouth your hand or mommy's cheek. I remember the day he couldn't relax or hold his head up or eat or smile or laugh. It's hard to have seen your son as a typical child and what his potential could have been, to now see your child a completely different way with his potential being much different. Yet I am thankful to have my son and thankful for what he can do and thankful to have a future with him.

I am VERY VERY thankful for my son Joey. For his little and big improvements. I'm thankful for all my family, and friends and therapist who have become my other family and my support group who is always there for me and for YOU.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully written. What you said is exactly how I feel about Corb. I'm just so thankful both boys have come as far as they have.

Caradie & Corbin
www.CorbinLeeProject.com

Gayle said...

We ALL have to be thankful for any little blessing or miracle that occurs each day......

Cousin Gayle