Monday, December 20, 2010

YOU ARE NOT SO SPECIAL


During this time of the year, my biggest pet peeve is that much more prevalent.

The abuse of Handicap parking spaces and handicap access, people that have NO consideration for the handicap.

On Thursday before the rain hit, we took the family to Disneyland. Joey just loves going on the rides, and yes he can go on all of them. Because Joey is in a wheelchair, most of the rides we have to go through the exit which is wheelchair accessible. I have seen tons of groups where the handicap person sat off of the ride, but the rest of the family used the pass. CONSIDERATION PEOPLE.

We also only have one option as far as taking the tram from the parking lot to the park. We have to stand in line with everyone else, but in the handicap line where they can only get 2 wheelchairs on the tram at a time. The rest of the family has to stand in the regular line. I have no real problem with this EXCEPT for the people who think because their baby is sleeping and they don't want to fold there strollers that they can use the ramp area also. They still have to take their kid out of their strollers. So now we wait longer. As my kid is now crying because he constantly needs to be moving to not get sensory overloaded. As I am talking to the tram attended about the people who feel they can abuse the system a man pushing a stroller with his 3 yr old son in it comes up the ramp. The man clearly does not look disabled and the kid does not look disabled, but I don't know their story so I don't judge them. Well the man hears me bitching about the situation and jumps into the conversation and says he totally understands and hates when people take advantage of it. Well of course the man continues to talk and during our 15 minute wait I find out that the man and his kid are not disabled, it is is wife that is and the wife is not even with them. So before we get off the tram, I open my big mouth and say again yeah I really HATE those people that use the wheelchair access because they have a stroller, as I look at his stroller. He did not get the point and said again how he understands. UGHHHHHH!

OK, then there is the handicap parking spots. If you are disabled and have a car, not a van and have the option at the time to park in either of the spots, DO NOT PARK IN THE VAN SPOT! Really people, REALLY! Where are the people with the handicap vans suppose to park. That space is there for a reason. Think people THINK. If you are disabled and are going to walk the mall then obviously you can walk for awhile, then park 2 spots over in a none handicap spot and let someone that really needs the spot use it. I do this all the time because my HANDICAP VAN opens in the back.

If you are driving a person around that is handicap and the person is going to sit in the car and wait for you, then be considerate and DON'T use the handicap spot.

Oh and what about the people that see you pushing a screaming child in a wheelchair with one hand and carrying a tray full of food with the other hand, BUT doesn't offer to open the door for you or move a chair out of the way or even just to help, but instead look at you like you are a horrible mom for letting your child scream. My hands are full, what am I suppose to do. So thank you to the one kind lady and her daughter, out of the hundreds, that offered to help me . I really appreciated it.

OR

As I am in the bathroom with Joey and he is screaming because the sound of the hand drier freaks him out, the lady that is drying her hands sees Joey screaming and looks over and says "whats wrong?" I said that the sound of the hand drier hurts his brain, she goes "AWEEEEEEEE" and continues to dry her hands. There are paper towels right NEXT TO YOU LADY!, but I didn't say it, wanted to, but didn't, she might not have realized that she wasn't as special as she thought.

It is not cool to think you are special and can use the handicap spots or access when you are not handicap, or when you don't really need to use it. I use to be one of these people. Obviously, I am not anymore. My SIL changed my ways a few years ago. She said to me "You are so lucky you can use the handicap spots anytime you want." I said, "You want to trade. I'd rather not be so LUCKY." I guess though that I should feel good because I am lucky that my kid is disabled, that my kid can't talk or play like other kids. WOW, I am LUCKY!

So to quickly reiterate. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL ENOUGH TO USE THE HANDICAP SPOT OR HANDICAP ACCESS!. If you are handicap yourself, please take a second to think if you really need to use the spot or access.

No comments: