Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Today Was A Good Day!

Today was a good day, a great day. Boy did I need this.

We went to a new neurologist today. Well my past experiences on visiting neurologists have not been good. These are my least favorite doctors. They seem to have the worst bedside manner and to grieving parents, they just know how to break your heart. Today I met a great Doctor, a great neurologist. He did a full examination on Joey. He tested his eyes briefly and did say that he is tracking. (I visit the Neuro Optometrist on Thursday) So to make a long story short, he doesn't feel Joey needs any meds for his spasticity. He just needs more therapy. Yes more therapy. He is writing a letter to Joey's pediatrician and to the school district requesting more therapy time. He then coached me on the conversation I need to have with Joey's IEP team. I really liked this Dr's way of thinking.

We then went to physical therapy. He did really great. His head control is awesome and he is crawling with assistance. He is also sitting up great too (of course with assistance also).

I am very proud of him. Way to go Joe.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

We hope there are lots more good/great days in the future!!!!!!

Cousin Gayle

Anonymous said...

Hi Guys

I just wanted to say hi. I am the CareFlight doctor in Sydney Australia who wrote the article in the paper last week. I wrote it at the end of last summer as we had been to so many drownings, and gave it to the paper last month hoping that it might do something to help prevent more drownings this season. The mother whose child this article was written about must follow the blogs of other children and mentioned that a few had included my article on their site.

I read through your blog and it is great to see that Joey is making progress. It is a tough journey that you are on, and you have my total respect. As a parent myself I can't imagine anything more difficult, nor anything more important. Your blog also gives much needed hope to the parents of other children who are just starting to walk your path, and for who the future looks hopeless.

I was especially touched by your November 19 post "Things to Know About Me...." That could only ever have been written by a parent.

Take care, and I will continue to follow Fighting Joey

Regards

Steve Walker

Reena said...

It is so great to read your blog. I have a 7 month old nephew who had hypoxic brain injuries in Sept'09. Reading your blog gives us a ray of hope.

I would really be interested in getting more details on the stem cell treatment that worked for your child in China.

All of your are in my prayers ; I'm sure the future will be great.

Thanks,
Hema