Thursday, December 17, 2009

Have We Hit a Plateau?


It has been 3 1/2 months since we have been back from China. We were told that we would see the full extend of the results from the Stem Cell therapy within the first 3-6 months after the treatment. Joey has gained so much from the SCT. His vision has improved greatly. He has gained a lot of it back, however he still has a lot of vision improvements to go. His overall muscle tone has decreased. This is huge because his muscle tone is what stops him from doing so much. He eats much better and is more cognitively aware. He can sit independently for 20 seconds without being prepped first and can sit up to a couple minutes after being prepped. Before it was only about 30 seconds after being prepped. His vocalization has also increased. He says more words and phrases and will hold a conversation with you. His conversations are like having one with a baby. He mimics and googoo and gaga's. It is very cute. So this also has improved a lot. However with all this being said, I think Joey could have hit a plateau. I could be wrong because I do see him all the time and maybe I just can't see it. I don't know. I don't know what to do anymore with Joey. I feel like I have done so much, yet there is still so much I can do. I am frustrated, because I don't have the funds or the time to do it all.

I am going to take Joey to Costa Rica in April for another round of Stem Cells. After that we are kind of at a stand still. I guess I'm so use to running around with Joey that maybe we just need a break, but I don't want to miss out on giving Joey what he needs. The more therapy the better off Joey will be when he is older. I am looking into ABM therapy, but just in the beginning stages of research. Joey will be getting his wheelchair soon and then I will need to get a mini van with a ramp. This will save my back a ton. Insurance and Medical denied Joey his gait trainer (walker). We are still fighting with them. I am going to have the school district help out. Hopefully we can get him walking around the neighborhood soon.

So I was looking at some pictures of the family before Joey's accident. Boy did we look like a happy bunch. There is a light in our faces that have since vanished. My New Years resolution, besides the normal weight lose one, is to bring the light back to our faces. So much of that is personal within each one of us, so I figured if I can work on my light, then the rest will just come. I don't want to be the sad family that has the disabled kid, and poor us. I want to be the family that other people wish they could have.

Well that's it for now. Next week everyone is out of school and off of therapy. We are going to do some spring (winter) cleaning. Eat cookies and have some hot chocolate near the fireplace.

Happy Hanukkah to my peeps and Merry Christmas to my other peeps.

3 comments:

Suzanne said...

"So I was looking at some pictures of the family before Joey's accident. Boy did we look like a happy bunch. There is a light in our faces that have since vanished. My New Years resolution, besides the normal weight lose one, is to bring the light back to our faces. So much of that is personal within each one of us, so I figured if I can work on my light, then the rest will just come. I don't want to be the sad family that has the disabled kid, and poor us. I want to be the family that other people wish they could have"

WOW....You go Sis...I'm proud of you and so glad that you want to fix that light. We should plan that amusement park trip some summer, with Fay and Joey in tow.

Gayle said...

Sometimes plateaus are just a resting point before stepping forward.......

Happiest of holidays to you all!!!!

Love,
Cousin Gayle

Anonymous said...

Hey Bad America. I've been reading the blog and I'm glad to know Joey is dong better everyday. Don't worry about that light you think it had vanished from your face. May be it has turned into a different one that you know how to recognize, but I can assure you that I've seen light in your faces back to China! May God keep on helping you on this journey. Hope we can keep in touch. Love, Bad Brazilian - Camila, faggot (: