Sunday, October 4, 2009

Last Day of Intensive Therapy

On Friday it was Joey's last day of intensive suit and tomatis therapy. Joey and I spent 3 weeks at the NAPA Center. While Joey worked super hard on his physical and occupational and listening therapy, I spent time with the most awesome group of mom's ever. We discussed our children (all of them) and talked about therapies and life issues. We laughed a lot and cried a little. It was the best time I have had at the center because of this group of mom's. I'm really going to miss them all. Good thing is that because I still go to the center 2x a week I will see some of them here and there. I will keep in contact with the other moms through facebook (gotta love me that facebook).

Joey kicked A?! today. And of course I forgot my camera this day. Joey walked the best ever in tall kneeling (this is when joey is on his knee's). His therapist Rebecca was holding his hands, but Joey was lifting his knees high. He then was crawling awesome with little assistance from his therapist. She sat in front of him and helped him with his arms, but Joey did his legs all by himself. GO JOEY GO! Then Joey was put in a walker. A regular walker, not like the gait trainer he is normally in. This walker is one that you strap your arms down into and nothing else is supporting you. He did fantabulous. He normally would hate his arms being strapped down and his head would fly back when not supported. He stood up straight and didn't mind his arms being strapped down at all. He walked back and forth throughout the center.

We had a little going away party this day. We had taco's and cookies and cupcakes for dessert. A friend brought in donuts and another friend brought in a chocolate covered fruit basket. OK, so forget about weight watchers that day. I will exercise extra hard today. I went to Pam and Makenzies condo after therapy for a last goodbye. We took the kids to the beach. You should have seen the two of us moms's pulling these strollers backwards in the sand to get them to the water. Then bent over holding our big kids we put them in the water. Boy did they love it. Then again we trekked the strollers uphill back over the sand to solid ground. I definitely worked off that cupcake. My calf's were a little sore the next day. Oh yeah and somehow I managed to lose my flip flop. OH well, summer is just about over anyways.

As of Monday Joey is back at school for about a month until we head to San Diego for two weeks for more therapy. Our lives will be a LOT of therapy until about spring time. He gets fitted for a wheelchair on Monday. This is one of those bitter sweet moments. I really really wanted to delay getting a wheelchair for the hopes he will walk sooner then later, then I realized lets not push it. He will walk one day, be PATIENT. The sweet part about the wheelchair is that he will be positioned right and comfortable when we are out and about. It will be a lot easier to move him around. Joey has grown a lot. He is about 33 lbs and is super long. Of course it's going to work out that Joey is my 6 footer and 220lbs when fully grown. ha ha ha

Well a last good bye to all my new friends and old friends that I spent time with at the NAPA Center. The NAPA Center is definitely a PLACE OF HEALING.

THANK YOU

3 comments:

PrayforNathan.org said...

I'm so excited to hear how well Joey's session at Napa went. I can't wait to take Nathan for another intensive session!

I wanted to let you know I nominated you for a Lemonade Award:
http://www.prayfornathan.org/blog/?p=1297

I really enjoy reading your blog and especially learning about all of the therapies that you are doing with Joey!!!

Corbinleeproject said...

It's so awesome Joey is in the NAPA newsletter.

mary in vegas said...

here in vegas we are still following joey's journey. of course, you and your family are in my prayers. keep up the good fight!

mary in vegas
(friend of cousin gayle)