Tuesday, February 1, 2011

To See or Not to See...............That is the Question?


Instead of comparing our lot with that of those who are more fortunate than we are, we should compare it with the lot of the great majority of our fellow men. It then appears that we are among the privileged. - Helen Keller

I remember as a little girl watching the movie about Helen Keller over and over again. I would walk around the house with my eyes closed. I would stuff cotton balls in my ears as to not be able to hear anything. I would wonder what it would be like to not be able to see or hear or talk, but when I tripped or decided to listen to the TV that was on or speak my mind I DID.

Throughout my life I always wondered what senses not to have would be best as not to effect life to much. Well I have a friend who can't smell, this also hinders her taste buds. This is not so bad. You never really crave anything to eat, can't smell farts, yet doesn't interfere to much in daily life. I know people who are deaf. I also took many sign language classes in college and this to is not a horrible sense to lose. You can still function through life without fully depending on others to help you. Then there is the sense of touch. I can only imagine how this can be dangerous.

AND what about sight?

Well since Joey had his anoxic brain injury 4 years ago I was able to see and learn and understand the importance of all our senses. I always thought that it is not a big deal if he can't see. This however turns out to be the most important sense to have. He could hear but not normal. Through many hours and intense sessions of tomatis Joey's hearing is now normal. Through 1000 of hours of Occupational therapy he regained his sense of touch and feeling. It then took a year to get his sense of taste back to normal. Today he knows what he likes to eat. 4 Years later we are still working on his eyesight. After three doctors and two rounds of Stem Cells Joey has regained his peripheral vision. YES, this is amazing and great, but it is not normal central vision.

........Now everyone stop and just look through your peripheral vision right now. Everything in front of you is blurry and everything in your peripheral is a headache. Well that's how Joey sees. Kind of sucks UH!

On Friday he received a brand new pair of glasses. These glasses are to uncross his eyes so that his brain can learn to focus on things in front of him. The doctor gave me therapy techniques to help him. As soon as I stuck the glasses on him it was a whole new world. His eyes began to look forward and he began to focus on things farther in front of him. His head wasn't always turned to one side or the other to try and see.

I can only pray that in the future he will be able to look at something to tell me he wants it. To be able to laugh at my funny faces, to be able to watch TV and laugh at what he sees on it. To have a favorite toy because of what it looks like. To be able to look at colors and see a plane in the sky and a fish in the water. To be able to move his wheelchair in a direction he wants to go.

So everyday stop and look at the beauty around you. Lock it in your memory. This Joey never had a chance to do. HOWEVER, I promise him and myself that one day he will see it all and see it all like we can see it.

3 comments:

Gayle said...

JOEY LOOKS SO CUTE IN HIS GLASSES!!!!

Couldn't watch the video from your last update - has some sort of block on it???

Cousin Gayle

Jodi said...

Joey is doing so awesome..you were blessed with a strong willed child too. I do not know much of what abilities Joey has regained but that smile alone makes all the work worth it. I too was worried about Justine's vision in the beginning and started seeing a nuero opthamologist and he said the stages of vision coming back start with the periphial vision, He gave Justine these magnifiers that were 2.5 I believe. Now she has perfect vision and no longer needs glasses.

Anonymous said...

That's amazing, give him a hug for me :)

-Ziva