Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Happy Thanksgiving

Happy Belated Thanksgiving!

Again this year we went camping for Thanksgiving. This is our 7th year camping over Thanksgiving. We go with about 6 other families, these are our best friends. We have a fantastic time.

Normally when we go camping we do not take Joey with us. He doesn't like it much and it doesn't give us time to relax. Joey is like a 6 month old baby. He has to be on a schedule, diapers changed often and fed every few hours. However we do take him every Thanksgiving. He was actually much better this Thanksgiving compared to the last 3 years since his accident.

The holidays are still hard for me. As time goes by it gets easier, but it still stings. It is hard to see the other little boys his age running and playing. It is hard to see these little boys riding their bikes and climbing trees and watching their favorite movies or playing games with the other kids. It is hard to hear the other parents talk about how their lives are going to get easier as their kids get older and they don't have to chase after them or watch them as much or make their food for them, etc. etc. etc. It is hard knowing that as their kids get older and become more independent that I will ALWAYS have that child that will depend on me 100% for EVERYTHING.

So then I start dreaming about what life would be like to be one of those moms, to see her child playing and riding their bikes, BUT I quickly shake it out of my head and begin to think about what I can do for Joey. I want Joey to be able to take a bike ride. The bike to do that costs $4500. Ok, then what about a bike trailer to take him on a ride, $800. Then my mind starts thinking about the therapies that I would like to do with Joey, more Stem Cell Therapy $30,000 and Neuro Therapy $8000. Maybe even more ABM, $1500. Then of course I start thinking about the things I would like to get for Joey, a new feeding chair (he has outgrown his current one) $600, a talker (not sure what these cost) and so many other adaptive toys.

So by this point my mind is going crazy with everything involving Joey, (school, daycare, therapy, adaptive toys and many many more things). So I have decided that today is the last time I am going to think about all this until after the Holidays when I have more time to be rational about it all.

So Happy Belated Thanksgiving to everyone. Hope you all had a great time. Be safe over the Holidays.

Blessings Always.



1 comment:

ferfischer said...

I know what you mean - I also have two other kids very close in age to Cici, and their lives tumble forward at breakneck speed. And my friends all say their lives are getting easier - vacations, time away, school related activities, etc etc, and we can barely get out of the house - I feel like we did when we had newborn twins. Anyway - yes, I agree - forget about it for now and enjoy the holidays!