Saturday, March 13, 2010

Playing Baseball!!!!!!

Ok bad pitcher, PITCHER! hee hee hee
Wheeling into home plate.
Playing second base.
Joey and Jack, What a team
.
So much, but so little going on. Ok so this week hasn't been that crazy or out of control, just normal life stuff.

Joey decided to help himself out of his wheelchair on to the concrete the other day. On his way out he hit his head on his chair. At first it seemed like he was going to have a HUGE bump, but after 20 min. of an ice pack he only have a very small bump. He ended up landing on his back. As he fell he got stiff as a dead dog. The good thing about this is that he didn't hit his head because his neck got so stiff, it was like he kept his chin tucked. No injuries beside the small bump on his head. I don't think he is going to try that again soon.

He has been sitting in ABA therapy for 1-4 minutes each time now. He has also been rolling from his tummy to his back in a matter of seconds when asked to do so.

Today was his first baseball game. His brother helped him all day. He played second base for his team and hit a couple of home runs that brought a couple runs in. hee hee hee It was a great game. No losers. The division and people who volunteer to run it are awesome. Thank You all for letting my son play baseball.

In 4 weeks we go to Costa Rica for stem cells. Some good news regarding our trip; The foundation that originally declined financial aid to help is now going to help some. I posted about this in an earlier blog. Also an ABM practitioner is going to also go to CR to treat our kids. There are four of us families going. Gracie, Mackenzie, Brock and Joey

Well that's kind of it for Joey.

My turn to vent a little. So I saw a news video about a 17mth old boy that drowned in a bath tub because the mother left him unattended. After a few weeks in the hospital, being vented and a special new therapeutic hypothermia treatment the child walked out of the hospital. No physical or cognitive issues at all. WHOO HOO! I am thankful that the therapy worked and he didn't suffer any ill effects from the drowning. I am glad another family doesn't have to live my life.

Ok, so this it what pisses me off. The news interviews the family and talks about this wonderful therapeutic hypothermia treatment. The family is also interviewed by other networks and magazines. Not once is anything mentioned about her leaving her child unattended.

So maybe it's just me having a problem. Maybe it's just because I wanted that miracle. I wanted Joey to wake up and be ok. I didn't want him to spend his life in therapy or worry about his knees turning in, his feet not being flat, his wrists not straight, or worry about him not seeing or understanding, or if he can sit or feed himself, or if he will choke when he eats, or what wheelchair do we buy or therapy to spend our money on. I wanted Joey to play in regular baseball and to be in a regular class in school. I wanted that MIRACLE, I WANTED JOEY WITHOUT the DISABILITY.

OK, I feel better now. I shed a few tears and can move on.

2 comments:

Gayle said...

Looks like both Joey and Jack are enjoying baseball!!!

We pray that some day Joey will have his own miracle.....

Love,
Cousin Gayle

Anonymous said...

sometimes when i read your posts i could cry. this was one of them. no one knows why things happen. we have to just trust in God...but it's so hard. you are always in my prayers.

mary in vegas (friend of cousin gayle)